Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Well, after two weeks of illness the Blanter/Curtis family is now back in the land of the (semi)living. Jason and I still have a bit of a persistent cough hanging around but generally we are fighting fit - Jay even went back to the gym this morning.

Unfortunatley I am slipping back into my adoption "depression" again - it's been a month since the last bout and I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a cycle associated with the "other" cycle or if it's just a feeling that another month has gone by. On Thursday it will be 20 months since our file was sent to Colombia. We were told 12-18 months for an allocation when we started and I regarded this as the "worst case scenario". At no time did I think we would still be waiting after 20 months. I am trying hard to keep my spirits up. Logic tells me that we will soon be allocated our much longed for child and our lives will be returned to us. But the fear and the anxiety persist and are very hard to shake off. The stupid "what ifs" and "we should have..." and "if only..." circle round and round my addled brain.

Anyway, enough self indulgent bullshit. Get a grip, girl!

The weekend just gone was fun. Jason had a corporate golf day (have you ever heard of such wankery?) whereby Apple Mac paid for him to bludge off work all day, play golf at one of Sydney's best golf courses, eat and drink to his heart's content and THEN by some mathematical miracle his team came second and they all won an iPod. Now is this the greatest non-work invention of the corporate world or what? Not that I'm in any position to complain about people slacking off (I've made it into an art form) but COME ON!!! Golf, food, drink, iPods = a work day? Please explain!

Will and I went to Surry Hills on Friday afternoon to look at Julia's (my dear sis) new flat. Oh, it's so very cool and wonderful. I yearn for the inner city life (and we are working on a plan, stay tuned). While it's very nice and very cool I'm afraid she won't pick up there - it's 99% gay with the token chickie babe thrown in. However, she has been told to find us both a gay boyfriend - I haven't had one since my teenage years and I do miss that "Will and Grace" style comradarie.

We then went to mum's and indulged in a seafood banquet in honour of JB's iminent moving out of the maternal home. I was ear-deep in mud crab and loving it. It's a hard life but someone's got to do it.

Saturday morning Will had a physio session (which he loves) followed by a haircut (which he also now loves). It's funny Will was TERRIFIED of having his haircut as a young child. You just had to walk slowly near a hairdresser and he would scream blue murder. For a few years there we were reduced to cutting his hair by having Jason (in the nude) holding Will (in the nude) in the shower while I cut his hair with the hair clippers. There would be screaming and crying and Will would be pretty upset too. It was an ugly scene. Then I found a new hairdresser at Pennant Hills I started going to and I asked her if she would mind having a go with Will. She was very gentle and playful with him and we managed our first proper hairdresser haircut without any hysterical screaming. After that it got better and better until now when we can just walk into any hairdresser/barber and he'll happily sit down and get his hair cut. He always asks for a "spiky" cut which is really cute.

On Saturday the young hairdresser who cut his hair must have been a bit bored with all the short-back-and-sides he does day in, day out because after he cut Will's hair he put it all up in spikes or little horns (or what we used to call a Statue of Liberty in my punk days) all over the front of his head - it was so cool and cute. I wish I'd made a photo.

Then we dropped Will off at dad's (who took him to Sydney Aquarium for the zillionth time this year - dad's now bought an annual pass!) and went off to help JB get her new flat ready for habitation. First off though we had to have some sustanance and we walked down to her "local Chinese" which just happens to be the "world famous" (well, there's a picture of Bill Clinton and Laurence Fishbourne eating there) Harry's Signapore Chilli Crab restaurant. Of course, we didn't have Chilli Crab (even I'm not up to that on a Saturday morning) but we did indulge in some very good salt and pepper squid and those yummy wide stir fried noodles.

Refreshed and replenished we got stuck in. I started on the cleaning and Jason took JB to Paddington to collect her stuff from her "office". By mid afternoon all her stuff was back at the flat and I had managed to scrub the bathroom to within an inch of its life and was half way through the kitchen (with big Jay's help - he's a must for those high, hard to reach places). Then we left JB to it and went home for some child free ... ahhmmm, rest.

On the way home JB rang to say that mum, who had come for a visit, had fallen down the little flight of stairs outside of JB's flat and JB had locked herself out while running to help. After a few panicked phone calls the drama was averted with the help of a friendly locksmith and all was well.

Saturday night we met up (again) with JB to attend the Boronia Park Public School Fundraising Trivia Night. I am a sucker for Trivia Nights and this one, being a fundraiser for Will's school, was a must. Obviously because we smell or are otherwise offensive in some way the people who were meant to sit on our table sat on another table without telling us - how rude! So it was just the three of us for most of the night - eventually we were joined by two more lost souls. While I have to say our trivial knowledge is respectable it was only good enough to earn us 17th place (out of 21 teams). I even remembered that Pb is the periodical table code for lead (and science was by far my worst subject at school - hard to believe for those of you who are familiar with my abysmal grasp of geography).

Sunday morning, after very unhappily waking up at 6:00 am to watch the recorded Swans vs Essendon game (who are the winners? WE ARE!!!), we set off to pick up Will from dad's. Then it was the long long drive up the F3 (I can not believe I used to do that drive every day - was I insane? don't answer that!) to visit Jason relos and to show them some old home movies which a friend of the family had transferred from Super 8 to DVD. This is where my shiny new laptop came in very handy.

Then it was off to Erina for lunch. [Our lives are like a Car Rally. We drive here, there and everywhere, with the occassional stop to see people, eat, shop, etc. But most of the time I feel liek we're just chasing our tails.] Now this was fun. We met up with our dear friends Aila, Craig and his daughter Madison, Jan and John and their gorgeous little baby Emma (whose not really all that "little" having two gigantors for parents). We went to Wagamama which has just opened up at Erina Fair. If you've been living under a rock or in a cave Wagamama is the new Japanese-fusion style place which started in London and is slowly taking over the world. We've been to the King Street Wharf one a few times and have always enjoyed it. It has a fun, informal atmosphere and decent food at fairly reasonable prices. On Sunday we sat outside in the lovely sunny courtyard area and enjoyed catching up.

Upon arriving home on Sunday afternoon we decided we could not tolerate our pig-sty of a house for a moment longer (our cleaner skipped her regular visit when we were sick so things were getting out of hand) and got stuck into a mini-super-powered cleaning session. With the floors de-fluffed and the bathroom de-yucked we were ready to kick back and enjoy some Sunday afternoon relaxation. I had made some six-hours-in-the-oven lamb shanks on Saturday night so we enjoyed those for dinner with some yummy couscous with stir fried veggies.

Then it was Big Brother eviction night. Who cares - Melanie got the boot. I really must say these are the most boring, non-entity bunch of nobodys I've ever come across. I really don't care who wins because I am hoping they all spontaneously combust before the big night. I don't even think that would make for interesting viewing at this point. There is now less than a week to go and I just can't for the pain to be over. I'm only watching out of (bad) habit so it'll be nice not to have to look at those boring sods any more (if they are boring, what does it say about moi? don't answer that!).

Monday morning we had to get up at 5:00 am to drive Aila and Craig (who had stayed the night) to the airport to start their holiday. After staying up last night to watch the final, not very satisfying, episode of Desperate Housewives, I have had a great night's sleep and feel reasonably human today.

OK, enough belly button gazing - back to the mines (or at least the pile of invoices which must be issued today which are piling up on my war zone of a desk).

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

My god - I'm exhausted just *reading* about your weekend!