Friday, October 14, 2005

The old me, the sane me, the me that isn't helplessly, self-indulgently obssessed with the mirage which is our second child-to-be, has been wondering about the new, yet to be released Chili Peppers' album. With "By The Way" having been released all the way back in 2002 it has been a long time between drinks. Sure, I have a solid back catalogue of music to keep me going but I yearn for something fresh. "Californication" and "By The Way" have taken my boys down a slightly different road (though it could be said that each of their albums is individual in its own right, there is some reinvention each time they write and record) and I like to ponder where we may be this time around.

But while there is plenty of joyous excitement there is also some trepidation. I fear that politics will emerge in their songs and cloud my love. These days it seems impossible for any celebrity to go about their business without proclaiming their political stance. This seems to suit most people but being off the bandwagon, so to speak, I find much of the "hip" political rhetoric rubs me up the wrong way. Generally the Chili Peppers don't venture too far into political territory (they certainly aren't self righteous little shits like Green Day), though there have been exceptions ("The Power of Equality" and "The Righteous and The Wicked" spring to mind) but I find it impossible to believe they will stay out of the current afray.

It is funny how we think we "know" our beloved celebrities. We love them because of a certain movie, a certain song, a certain book and thus we "own" them. Especially with writers, songwriters... because they are allowing us a glimpse of their inner selves through their words and lyrics we feel a sense of ownership, of connection. Having been on a John Cusack e-mail list for many years I have often giggled at how some members write passionately about how a certain actress he had reportedly been dating was "wrong" for him. How can we possibly know that? How can we possibly know someone because we've seen their film or heard their song. Yet that is human nature, it appears.

I don't "know" the Chili Peppers (though I have met - ever so briefly - two of the current four and of course the beautiful Dave Navarro). I know them only through their songs, the occasional interview and books (including Anthony's amazing autobiography). Yet I love them - they enthral me, they lift me and they fail me like any loved ones. I mourn Anthony's many broken romances and I celebrate the birth of Chad's children. Some time ago I read Flea's comments about the respect and love he had for Mike Tyson. I was aghast! How could Flea, that gentle, beautiful soul, respect an animal like Mike "The Rapist" Tyson? I couldn't reconcile my feelings with this betrayal. Yet in reality what do I know about the real Michael Balzary aka Flea? Sweet f/a, really. Well, I know he's short, has lots of funky tattoos, a panchant for weird trousers and he is a genius with a bass and a trumpet. Apart from that, sweet f/a!

So, over the summer as my radio station of choice broadcasts endless cricket commentary I will stock the car with my Chili Peppers' CDs and revisit my old friends. I'll sing along to "Sir Psycho Sexy" and "Aeroplane" and "Deep Kick" (though it's bloody hard to sing along to really!) and "Knock Me Down" and "Fight Like A Brave" and "Around The World" and every wonderous song on "By The Way" (over and over) and I'll revisit the emotional places these songs take me and I will forget my fear and dream of where I may go on my next adventure - hand in hand with Anthony, Flea, John and Chad.

No comments: