Friday, October 26, 2007

One of the things I was especially looking forward to doing on our holiday was reading. I hadn't done any for a while and there was a stack of books mounting up which required my attention. I got through three and they were all superb in their own very differen ways.



In The Cut by Susanna Moore

I bought this as a cheapy on the discount table because I'd heard something vague about it when the film version with Meg Ryan was released. Anyway, I haven't seen the film but the book was fantastic. Beautifully written erotic thriller.



Sucked In by Shane Maloney

The latest in the wonderful Murray Whelan series. I love love love these books. And to think how very accidentally I stumbled upon Murray all those years ago in the gloomy book section of the Perth City Target. How easily I could have chosen another book and not had Murray in my life. Sucked In is just as enjoyable as those which came before, I loved every page. All I can say is, Murray Whelan for PM!

Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham

This is the latest book from the author of The Hours and while I haven't read that book I did see the film and cried so much at the end I thought I'd burst a valve. So I did go into Specimen Days with a touch of trepidation. Which was validated because this book is powerful and it made me feel, really feel, and think... two things which I obviously avoid doing as often as possible (hence my reality tv addiction). It hurts to really feel and think and I've decided I don't like it. I need it but I don't like it. Reading this book hurt, a lot. It is beautiful on every level and I am so glad I read it but I wish I hadn't read it on holidays. It is not a book to read by the side of a pool on a hot day in gorgeous Phuket. It is a book to read on a rainy day at home with a cup of tea and box of tissues.

No comments: