Friday, April 17, 2009




HERE IT IS.
My first effort in my brand new pressure cooker. Beef Goulash, made with gravy beef, onions, mushrooms, paprika, tomato paste, stock and sour cream to finish.
The photo doesn't do it justice. It was delicious and tender and full of flavour. Prep time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 25 minutes + 5 minutes to thicken sauce.
I did struggle a little to get the lid on properly to start with but I guess it's a technique I'll need to master. I was skeptical that it would turn out. After all gravy beef normally requires 2+ hours to reach a tenderness suitable for eating. When I finally lifted the lid I wasn't sure what to expect but it was just as promised.
I am suitably impressed at this point. Sunday I'm doing lamb shanks so that will be Big Test #2. Report to follow.

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Hmmm. It does look rather nice, actually - I could almost smell it from here!

Jules said...

Um...yum!?!?!? I want beef goulash! (just had massive chopped liver sandwich at a Jewish deli, could have fed 3, feeling quite full...)