Friday, June 24, 2005

Well, here we are... my very first blog entry. First off, a thank you to my cyber-friend Julie whose own blog http://www.talesfromthestirrups.blogspot.com/ inspired my own venture into Blogland.

Now that I'm here I'm not so sure what to say... It's a rainy Friday here in Sydney and boy do we need the rain. We are just about at water restriction level 427, rich Australians are flying their cars to New Zealand to be washed properly, with a hose, rather than pathetically out of a bucket (credit where credit's due - thanks James Valentine for that bit of comic relief).

It was lovely to wake up last night to hear the rain on our roof and know that our poor parched grass was finally getting a drink. It can rain all it likes until tomorrow late afternoon when we are going to watch the Sydney Swans kick Collingwood's bottom at Telstra Stadium. It's really no fun sitting out there in the cold and pouring rain (believe me, I've been there) so while the rain is wonderful a clearing of the clouds between about 6:00 pm and 10:30 pm Saturday night would be greatly appreciated. [An aside for non-Australians, the Sydney Swans are our AFL team of choice. AFL is Australian Football which is played with a pointy, oval ball by gorgeous young men with long legs in tight shorts. That's really all I know about it but that's enough for me. If you need to know more go to www.sydneyswans.com.au ].

Perhaps I should explain the name of my blog - The Adventures of Deep Kick Girl Down Under. Well "Deep Kick" is my (possibly) favourite Red Hot Chili Peppers song. For those who know me the connection is clear, for those who don't... the Chili Peppers are a very important part of my life and have been since about 1991. "Deep Kick" comes from their One Hot Minute CD which I think is one of their best but it is unfortunatley maligned by many philistines who wouldn't know their arse from their elbow.

One Hot Minute featured the guitar work of the amazing Dave Navarro (ex and now ex-ex - i.e. he's back - Jane's Addiction). I will pick him over John F. every time (though it could cost me my life in some Chili Pepper circles). Of course no-one compares to Hillel - RIP - the original and the best IMHO.

Anyway, "Deep Kick" is about Flea and Anthony being teenagers around Hollywood in the early 80s. It takes me back to my own teenage years which were wild and fun and fantastic and I love that feeling. It also features one of my favourite lines in a song - sung by Flea in his car-wreck of a voice at the end of the song - "...the Butthole Surfers said: it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do. We were young... we were young and we were looking for the Deep Kick." Amen to that!

OK, that will probably do for a first entry. Here's to a great weekend.

1 comment:

Foxxy One said...

Great entry and I'm so very flattered. As a football fan myself (GO EAGLES!) I hear what you are saying. The difference is - your football is played in the warm months here it's played in sub-zero freezing temperatures so this little girl stays home :)