Friday, February 03, 2006

We resume regular service in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Where does the time go? I don't even know where to start! Best to summarise I guess...

We're home, life is good. During the past six weeks we have chipped away, bit by bit, until we have something very much resembling a routine to our days and weeks. I love routine, crave it, need it. I also believe childen thrive when surrounded by a comforting routine. Our trip was amazing and challenging but I so love having our lives back.

Marianna is a terrific baby. I think she read the child development book before she met us because she is doing everything right on cue. She has slept fully through the night for over two weeks now - is there anything better in a parent's life than a sleeping child? She eats everything not nailed down and is very adventerous with what she will try. She started crawling three days ago which has certainly introduced a new challenge to my day to day life - watching her every second she is on the ground for the world is full of interesting yet potentially dangerous objects, all conveniently located at baby's eyesight, touch and feel level.

Will is fabulous. He has returned to school this week and is settling well into Year 1 - or 1C. He is with his best friend at school Nicholas, which is great. His teacher seems lovely and there are only 19 children in his class - who could ask for more. There is a "but" though... his behaviour is very up and down right now. I guess it's to be expected but it is really testing our parenting skills. I recognise that a lot of our conflict is more about our reactions than just his behaviour and we have a lot of work to do - where the &*#$ is Super Nanny when you need her? Say it with me now: "That is unaceptable behaviour!!!"

Antony and the Johnson are sublime. I shared the beauty of their music with my sister a few weeks ago at the majestic State Theatre. He is an artist like no other (that I have witnessed). He is so fragile, so vulnerable - especially on stage, where he is so raw, so unpolished in some respects. Yet that stage persona compliments his songs, his words, his beautiful voice in a strange way. Everything about him is feeling: hurt, fear, love, hope, anger, joy. Every word in every song overflows and the person he is on stage in front of us, open, fearful and fearless, so much NOT the "entertainer" (if there was an entertainment spectrum Antony Hegarty and Robbie Williams would form the two furtherest points) makes my heart ache and soar. He is a gift to me and I am so thankful.

CocoRosie are not a gift. They are an abomination and the definition of "Emperor's New Clothes" when it comes to avant garde "culture". This musical travesty somehow appeared as the opening act for Antony and the Johnsons and boy did they piss me off. While their so-called music is very much reminiscent of the noise made by a cat as it is run over by a slow moving steamroller at least they did provide some wonderful comic relief, as JB and I giggled manically in the beautiful butterfly ladies' room at the State Theatre. You have been warned.

This weekend brings a return of Will's Saturday morning swimming lessons, a chance to hang out with JB on Saturday night while Jason plays golf and poker (boys will be boys) and some casual Sunday afternoon entertaining. Possibly a Friday night movie with my friend C - North Country or Brokeback Mountain?

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Hi there Deep Kick Girl!!

I've been checking your blog for an update and it's great to read that M is doing so well. Will'll also 'get over it' - he is at 'that age' (like mine is) and is also adjusting to having to compete for your attention right now.
K xo