Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Ummm, that was nice...

Well, actually it was kind of weird and funny.

It was my night out with Jules at the filming of the Australian version of Gordon Ramsey's The F Word. This version stars Matt Moran and I have only a small amount of confidence it will be anywhere as fun and entertaining as the original. Of course there's no-one quite like Gordon so it will be interesting to see how this comes across on the tv.

The shoot itself was too boring. Really. Jazz things up a bit, people. Jules and I had a great time, we always make ourselves laugh and enjoy each other's company, no matter how many hours a day we spend together.

The premise of the show is it's set in a "real" restaurant environment and three non-chefs are invited to cook a three course meal under the beady eye of Matt Moran. The meals are served to us, the "audience". We judge whether it is restaurant quality and "vote" by stating whether we'd pay the $40 per head.

Our meal was a starter of Salt and Pepper Squid, with baby Bok Choy. This was quite nice, the sauce was piquant, but the Bok Choy was cold and I did have an eyelash hair as a hidden surprise. The main was Roast Pork Loin with baby roasted Pears, Brocollini and Smashed Potatoes. The meat was lovely (though the crackling could have had more "crackle"), the vegies were not hot (again) and I wasn't a fan of potatoes (either mash them or served them whole, I say). Dessert was a very good Panna Cotta with a refreshing salad of Citrus with Pistachios.

While there were some small problems, as listed above, I have eaten worse, cooked by alleged professionals and paid much more (flashback to infamous Aqua Luna incident, as an example). I was happy with my meal. The fact it was eaten sitting back to back with a minor celebrity didn't hurt. Yes, I hob nobbed with Anthony Callea (first OzIdol runner-up). Well, actually there was no hob nobbing but he did sit directly behind me so there is a good chance my frizzy orange hair will make it into shot when Matt Moran was chatting with him.

So look out for my television debut on Channel 7. I'm the one looking uncomfortably comfortable, laughing hysterically a lot of the time and saying "nice" a lot.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Nice review!

Kath Lockett said...

Oooh, when are you on, you media megastar you??