Thursday, February 21, 2008

There is a hoo-ha going on around here (near where I work and Will goes to school, not near home) about a proposal for a brothel.

There are letters to the editor in the local paper and a woman approached me in the school playground to sign a petition against it.

I wish I had the guts to tell this woman what I thought of her prudish piece of crap petition. Instead I'll just tell you.

I can't believe people want to continue to live their lives with their heads in the proverbial sand. Wake up and smell the bullshit people. The sex industry is one of the oldest in the history of humans walking on their hind legs. Pretending it doesn't exist is like closing your eyes and pretending people can't see you. It's real, it exists, deal with it. I certainly prefer the idea of brothels than of poor women freezing their butts off on a corner of William Street or some god-forsaken stretch of the Great Western Highway on a winter's night.

This particular brothel is being planned for a stretch of road inhabitated by panel beaters, car mechanics, a bus terminal and other forms of light industry. The anti-brothel people have picked up on the fact that this bit of road also backs onto the large playing fields of a particular Catholic boys' high school (the actual school buildings being hundreds of meters away from this bit of road). If you ask me, a lot of these boys will probably end up being regular customers. No-one needs a bonk more than a repressed Catholic school boy... well, perhaps the Pope, but that's a whole different story.

So to close I'll just say that I hate prudes, I hate bullshit and I wish I looked better in lingerie like the girls on Satisfaction... when will they screen Season 2?

2 comments:

Jules said...

Agreed.

They should come and see how it's done here. The girls have lovely little rooms in the windows, with plush lounges, stereos, they can smoke and eat and chat on their mobiles. Better than being on the street people.

Kath Lockett said...

Agree totally. Better that it's safe, organised, in one spot and helps wider society realise that it's a normal 'pastime' that's better bought and paid for than stolen, seized or forced.