Monday, February 02, 2009
























Last night I sat at the feet of Mr Leonard Cohen. Yes, that's right. FRONT ROW. CENTRE.

(That's him, right there in front of me. The elderly gent with his hat and his gentle smile and his beautiful words.)

In the immortal words of one C. Bing, OH. MY. GOD.

I don't think I have the words to really describe what the evening was like. Superb. Magical. Amazing. All good words but so inadequate.

The great man did a lot of skipping, surpisingly more than I would have expected from a man his age. His voice has also improved so much since his younger days, for which I am truly thankful.

We took Will with us (as my dad, who was meant to be coming, couldn't go - long story). Will knows many Leonard Cohen songs (doesn't every 9 year old?) as I so often listen to the I'm Your Man CD in the car (and it's also on his MP3 player, which used to be mine). So it was rather sweet to see my gorgeous big boy, eyes glued to the great man, singing along to Everybody Knows and If It Be Your Will (which I think he thinks is about him).

Paul Kelly (the singer, not the great ex-Swans player) was the main support act and he was brief but wonderful. Sadly he didn't do [Have You Ever Seen] Sydney from a 747 [at night] which would be my favourite song of his. He was simply on the stage with his rather hunky son Dan Kelly and it was quite a special little acoustic set.

However, the extra, super douper bonus of the evening were The Triffids as the first support act. As we were waiting to take our seats - in the FRONT ROW. CENTRE - they did Wide Open Road. Holy shit that's a fabulous song. I didn't even know they were going to be playing so it was a wonderful surprise. For me it was like knowing you were about to pick up your brand new convertible, white leather seats and all, and then getting to the showroom and having it driven out for you by Robbie Williams. In the nude. That's how good it was.

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Wow.... you are so going to hate me for admitting this, but I don't think I've ever heard a Leonard Cohen song.

As a child of the (mainstream) 1980s, what would you recommend I start with? (blushing profusely at her total lack of music cred)

Jules said...

So happy :-)