Friday, July 01, 2005

Ask and ye shall receive! Wouldn't it be cool to spend a day just speaking like they did in the Bible? On the other hand "ye" is probably the only term that springs immediately to mind so it would be a pretty boring day just saying "ye" all the time. But I digress...

Yesterday I asked for some blue sky and.. guess what? Woke up to a beautiful, cloud-free blue sky day. A week's worth of heavy rain has washed the world clean and it's all shiny and bright today. Beautiful! I love driving across Gladesville Bridge with that view of Sydney across the glistening water and all the boats bobbing around... makes me so proud of being a Sydney-sider.

Anyway, here I am on a beautiful blue sky-ed Friday looking forward to a nice weekend. Tomorrow Jules and I are hitting the Good Food and Wine Show at Darling Harbour. I've got a 2 for 1 ticket, so what the hell! I am a sucker for the showbags with all the little samples in them - I don't ever get around to using half of them, but it's so much fun getting home and getting all the little bottles and satchets and recipe booklets out of the showbags.

Sunday we have a work lunch to celebrate the end of the financial year. Then we're dropping Will off at mum's for a couple of days (school holidays start on Monday). We're hoping to see Batman Begins at the Gold Class cinema on Sunday evening (I got the tickets for my birthday in March and still haven't had a chance to use them). I love the Batman movies and I really like Christian Bale - we're both really looking forward to it. We rarely get to go to the movies together these days.

Sorry, another BB incident... This week's task is they have to attend the BB school; so every morning they put on school uniforms, etc. They have like a class, where they sit at school desks and BB ask them school-type questions. Last night he asked "Who said "Let them eat cake" ". Christie (competing for the world's dumbest bimbo title) answered "Jesus". I just about had a meltdown. What the??? Surely that sort of information is embedded in our DNA; we're born knowing the answer to that question. Right? Anyway, it was poor old Tim (the only one with anything approximating a brain in the BB household) who had to answer, as he always does, "Marie Antoinette".

I really don't know why I keep watching that show... some sort of masochist urge I'm sure. All it does is give me indigestion and adds to my dread about the future of humanity. If these young people are our future we're all in deep poo. Hopefully there are a whole lot of much nicer, smarter and generally better young people out there who are busy leading nice, smart and generally good lives and haven't got time for crap like Big Brother.

There is virtually nothing left to watch on TV at the moment. I have tried watching "House" which started this week but after only 2 episodes I can already see the pattern and that it's just going to be same thing week in week out.

I guess I can just get more reading done. I have been trying to finish "Widow for One Year" by John Irving for a few weeks now but, like all his books, this one is dense and it takes me a while to get through it. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, I am, it's just not an "easy" read. For those who haven't seen it I recommend "The Door in the Floor" which was a recent movie with Jeff Bridges (love him!) and Kim Bassinger. It's based on the first section of "Widow for One Year" and it's a very good movie with great performances - especially from Ms Bassinger who I never spotted for a great actress.

On my list of books to read is "Post Mortem" Ben Elton's newie (a Mother's Day gift) - I'm really eager to get into that one. I've also just picked up "Times Square" on DVD - this is a movie from the early 80s which really defines that time of my life. It's about a rich girl and a "loser" girl who run away from hospital together and have a wild time in the New York underworld. It's got a kick-arse soundtrack with The Ramones' "I wanna be sedated", "Life during wartime" by Talking Heads and "Pissing in the river" by Patti Smith being a stand out tracks for me - the whole soundtrack is amazing.

Have a great weekend. K

No comments: