Thursday, November 23, 2006

Crisco. You know those thieving scum who sell the Christmas rip-off hampers to the poor white trash and other IQ challenged folk. The Christmas "hampers" which come in Winfield Blue or Benson & Hedges varieties, with optional extras such as a slab of VB or a bottle of Jim Beam.

I have been a long time fan of the tv ads where the spokeswoman, dressed as Mrs Claus, chirps on about how joyous it is to hand over your hard-earned all year with the prospect of having one of these crap hampers delivered to your door in time for the festive season. A hamper full of Spam and tinned pineapple - nothing makes me think of our lord and saviour more than Spam.

My sister and I have long discussed the reality that these people are paying much more than the market value for this shit, living with the illusion that they are saving money by being good little Crisco financial managers.

Well, I have finally got proof that this is a scam of the highest order. Last weekend I met a woman who has actually done the sums. As she said, she's a stay at home mum, she has some hours to kill. Anyway, her own mother buys these evil hampers and after trying to convince her they were a rip-off she sat down and did the figures using the Coles online shopping site. She worked out that the $1,200 hamper her mother buys could be bought at Coles for $700 - that's a full $500 less than the Crisco price!

I actually think this is quite a serious (although funny) issue. I mean the bulk of the people who buy this crappola would be the ones who can least afford it. The battlers, the working poor, the non-working poor... you get the picture. Surely those G20/Iraq war/global warming protesters would be better off spending their time picketting the Crisco offices, because that, to me, seems where the world's great injustices originate.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was on a flight recently and someone had pinched my inflight magazine and left me with the Crisco catalogue. I'm one of those tightwads who knows exactly what everythign costs - whehn I do my grocery shopping you can quiz me ont he prices and i'll get it right with 10c....so when i flicked through that catalgue I realised straightaway what a rip off it was. ANd especially th meat - all these cheap and nasty cuts of meat and those horrid preprepared kebab sticks...worked out costing $20/kg for this rubbish.

Julia said...

Down with this sort of thing!

Julia said...

Terri, do you come in toilet brush size? I need to replace mine and think you could be a good substitute.

deepkickgirl said...

Come now, dear Terri, surely someone who stalks the blogs of people she hates isn't in any position to tell others to get out more.

Also, I realise that it is serious work saving the world and all, but surely a sense of humour must lurk somewhere in that earnest breast of yours.