Monday, November 13, 2006

You know I love piss poor tv entertainment, the piss-poorer the better. Big Brother, Oz Idol, Jasmin's Getting Married (RIP), New Zealand Highway Patrol... bring it on.

But Channel Nine's ABBAMania was a crime against humanity. Never mind bleating on about Iraq and global fucking warming, where are the protestors when you really need them?!

I was hoping for a bit of kitsch entertainment, something to sing along to with Will (he's a big ABBA fan). But what I got was the lamest, most embaressing (for all concerned) schlock seen on television. Bec Cartwright makes Anna Nicole Smith look highbrow. She really is cringe-making (for more evidence Google her Melbourne Cup outfit, it's a miracle they let her out of the caravan park wearing that). She's a shocker and should stick to "exclusives" in Women's Day where at least we don't actually have to hear her talk.

By far the worst aspect of the half hour I managed to sit through was the calibre of "celebrities" they dragged out for this event. Actors from McLeod's Daughters, looking like they'd rather be dragged by one foot behind a horse on the McLeod's set and wondering how they could have misread the fine print on their contracts so badly. Then there was Matthew Newton singing with David Campbell. What's that about? I mean I know they have Burt under contract but surely they couldn't have included Matthew without anyone noticing.

I didn't see her but apparently they even had one of their Melbourne Today Show reporters singing later in the show. How low can they go? Was Fatty Vautin unavailable?

The whole thing was awful and tragic and whoever is responsible should be thoroughly ashamed and hopefully unemployed as of this morning.

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

I couldn't agree with you more and I didn't *even* see the show becausxe I just couldn't bring myself to turn it on. If you want ABBA, just play ABBA - get their video DVD (it's hilarious but Sapphire loves it) or just a CD and sing away - it's a true insult to have anyone other than the original four 'do' their songs

Sarah said...

Couldn't agree more - but it was just so awful that I couldn't turn it off. Some programs are so bad, you have to turn them off..this was so so bad thatI was just waiting for someone to come out, pointing and laughing and saying thatthe joke was on us. But they didn't and I kept on watching. And then everytime I'd hear Bec's voice I'd have to use my hands to cover my ears and that rendered me unable to reach for the remote. And who told some of those 'celebrities' that they could sing? Some of thsoe voices could remove bathroom scale.

I don't know how Eddie and Co do it....Every week Channel 9 seems to come up with something even worse with which to scrape the bottom of the barrel.