Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The weekend was great. As predicted it rained almost constantly so the pool and the beach were no go areas. It was a pity because we had a gorgeous view of the beach, so tempting and so uninviting at the same time.

The kids really had a ball. It is truly wonderful to see their friendships develop over the years. One of my favourite things in life is watching them play, seriously interact over some game or tear round the house like mad things, screaming and falling over for no particular reason. They are joy personified.

They are also stress personified. On Sunday night little K, aged 6, decided to go for a nocturnal adventure all on her own. The adults had been chatting in the lounge room and the kids had been watching a DVD in one of the bedrooms when it became evident she was missing. The panic levels rose gradually as we realised she was really gone, not just hiding somewhere in the house. Luckily it ended well when her dad found her a few houses down along the dark street. She was unaware of the panic her little stroll had caused but it took a little while before our collective blood pressure returned to normal.

Regarding the house: I could provide a list of complaints which would take up a toilet paper roll. Luckily for you I won't. Suffice to say if I owned a holiday home which I rented out to people for sizeable amounts of cash I would go to the trouble of going to Target or Ikea and buying a couple of matching dinner sets, cutlery sets, drinkware sets and even sheet sets just for the sake of my own sense of pride. But I probably wouldn't rent out a house where the kitchen cupboards were made of masonite painted yellow. I'm particular that way.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I SO hear you on the crockery and cutlery issue. The holiday house we stayed at over Easter is often rented out too - especially over winter. For at least a year I made subtle hints about the state of things like plates, cutlery and the fact that a holiday house in the Snowy Mountains DID NOT HAVE ONE WINE GLASS.

Eventually I just went out and bought it all myself and donated it. Two complete dinner sets, two pasta bowl sets, a knife set, cooking implements, high ball glasses and wine glasses....all on a post Christmas sale at Target and Spotlight. Cost a grand total of about $200.

They just didn't understand that for a renter, the presence (or absence) of something like a wine glass can make or break the decision to rent again.

Ms. Mamma said...

What a major freak out! Also, I'm so glad you have the power of the bullseye at your fingertips.