Friday, February 19, 2010

Listen up Alanis Morissette

This is fucking IRONIC*. Precious.

What a movie. What a story. What can I say about it?

Hard work. Actually hearing and understanding Precious, hard. Emotionally, hard.

I'm just not able to do social realism like I used to. Perhaps it's parenthood. The horrors inflincted on children are too hard to watch as "entertainment".

Performances are mind blowing. Even Mariah Carey is outstanding in her small role (who could have guessed). Gabourney Sidibe as Precious is understated and raw.

* To state the obvious, it's ironic because to name a child Precious and then treat her like garbage, like much less then human, is the ultimate irony. Don't you think.

3 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

...that's why I just don't want to see it. I find such 'gritty' movies almost impossible to watch these days.


...besides, there's enough grittiness on the streets of my neighbourhood!

Jules said...

When did you see this?!?!

Sarah said...

agree.

i know that stuff is meant to be challenging etcd

but just getting through most weeks is about as much challenge as I can deal with most of the time....when i watch a movie i just want to be entertained in the old fashioned sense of the word.