Tuesday, September 20, 2005


Free Barry Hall
Free, Free, Free, Barry Hall
Free Barry Hall

Twenty-one hours before the judiciary
His shorts too tight to fit his meat*
His body's buffed but his mind is still free
Are you so blind that you cannot see
I say Free Barry Hall
I'm begging you Free Barry Hall

Sing with me now....

Don't let this travesty happen... write to your local member... write to the PM... write to EVERYBODY!

[*Give me a break. It's hard to find something to rhythm with "feet".]

I know the Swans can win without him but he deserves to be there on Grand Final Day. It would be just horrible for him to miss out, I can't bear the thought! Please keep all your appendages crossed for Big Bazza.

Well, it all started last Friday night. The Swans played a magnificent game. I really can't fault it. After a pretty shitty third quarter, during which the umpire gave a free kick against Sydney each and every time they touched another player (hello, it's a bloody contact sport!!!), the fourth quarter was just mind blowing. They all ran on with a confidence which had to be seen to be believed and they kicked goal after goal, just about everyone had a go. It was fan-bloody-tastic!

So for those who have been living under a rock this past week - the mighty Sydney Swans are into the 2005 AFL Grand Final for the first time since 1996. If they win it will be the first time since 1933 (when they were still South Melbourne). The only blight on our joy is that Barry Hall, the Big Bazza, our galant captain, has been charged for giving that St Kilda cry baby, Matt Maguire, a little tap on the tummy. Boo bloody hoo. You should have seen that faker rolling around on the ground like he was dying. The Academy Award goes to... the big sissy boy from St Kilda.

OK, deep breath now. Relax. Think calm thoughts. Gentle waves on a golden beach.... Aaahhh.

Onto a very different topic now. After the excitement of Friday night, Jason and I went to the movies on Saturday afternoon. A movie that moves you, that touches you, that really says something about our lives as human beings is so rare these days it may as well be called "Dodo" or the "Tasmanian Tiger", more a rumour, a romantic idea, than a reality. But "Look Both Ways" is proof that such a movie exists... I have seen it with my own eyes and it was truly wonderful. "Look Both Ways" is a relatively new Australian film starring no-name Australian actors (familiar only to viewers of Australian soaps). It's a very simple film, touching on the lives of a few people in a small, fictional South Australian town on a particular scortching hot summer weekend. I didn't realise the emotional impact it was having on me until I found that I had silent tears streaming down my face during the last ten minutes of the film. Very gentle, very thought provoking, very beautiful, very optimistic. I simply loved it.

Saturday night we were invited to my sister's gorgeous new flat for a house warming party. It was very enjoyable, surprisingly. I admit to some trepidation at having to spend an evening with a flat full of gorgeous twentysomethings but they were all lovely, easy to talk to and fun. There was even an old fogey couple like us who were also film buffs - so instant friendship right there. Got home at 12:30 am - way past our bedtime. Aren't we hip and happenin'??!!

Picked Will up Sunday morning, enjoyed a fabulous old fashioned breakfast at Bondi with dad and grandma. Then drove back to the 'burbs for lunch with our dear friends M and G and their gorgeous little girls L and E (Will's great friends). Nothing lazing about on a Sunday afternoon with good friends, yummy food and warm Spring weather. Then a bit of Rugby League on the telly to round off the day (GO Tigers!).


Last night I had a dream... it was sort of like Martin Luther King's dream, but much more X-rated. I have to put it down to the overall Swans fever encompassing my universe right now but it involved one Ryan O'Keefe.
I know that at the age of 24 he is young enough to be my... um... younger brother... but a girl can dream can't she!
I may be old but I'm not dead. Anyway, I won't go into the nitty gritty details but let's just say I will be shouting out Ryan's name with a brand new enthusiasm on Saturday afternoon...

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Even though my beloved Crows lost to the Eagles, I'll be cheering on the Swans for you!