Thursday, September 22, 2005

Tomorrow I am going to attend the Federal Inquiry into Intercountry Adoption hearing here in Sydney. I sent my written submission in months ago and now I've prepared a short speech to read out during the Community segment of the hearing. While I can write well and am comfortable doing so, I am terrified of speaking in public - so I am quite anxious about tomorrow. I know that the chances of this Inquiry achieving any practical benefits for the adoptive community are as good as Mark Latham nominating Kim Beazley for Australian of the Year but those of us who "believe" must keep plugging on, even against all the odds. Intercountry adoption in Australia sucks on every front and I live in eternal hope that things must improve. While there are children in the world who need a loving family and while there are good families in Australia who are yearning to welcome these children we must keep fighting to improve the processes and to support adoptive families.

Off my soap box.

Onto more pleasant things. Of course, the good news is that the Free Barry Hall campaign has worked and the big guy is free to play on Saturday afternoon. It was the big news around here on Tuesday night and all day Wednesday. It really was proverbial storm in a tea cup. If I was inclined towards conspiracy theories I would be chalking the whole fiasco down to one. A bit of pre-Grand Final hype perhaps?! Whatever we choose to call it, it's all over and the Swans are on their way to Melbourne to prepare for the big day. While I will be immensely proud of them either way I so want them to win it almost hurts. Never mind the team - I need some reward for all the years of sitting through the cold, rainy, windy days and nights, cheering them on, spending my hard earned on scarves, hats, jumpers, etc.

I have to say all this Swans carry on is a pleasant diversion at the moment and is keeping me (well almost) from spending every waking moment thinking about the other stuff, you know, the a-word, the thing which will remain nameless. Buggered if I know what I'll be doing by mid next week when all the excitement about the Swannies (win or lose) wears off.

Last night was the final "Rock School". I have to admit it wasn't quiet as painful as I was certain it would be. The concert in front of 5,000 Motorhead fans was blissfully short (i.e. one song) and not totally unbearable - that's the best I can say. Gene Simmons was his usual learing self and there was a rather weird moment where he had his arm around one of the teenage girls in a manner which made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but maybe I just can't help but see him as a sleaze bag who regards women/girls only as sexual play things. Despite myself I quite enjoyed the closing sequence with the much relieved teenagers doing a rather pleasant version of "God Gave Rock'n'Roll To You" with Gene accompanying them on guitar. If there is a God please don't let him/her allow there to be a "Rock School 2".

Just in case there isn't enough reality TV in my life we have also started watching the new Survivor Guatemala series. I have never watched Survivor before (hard to believe but true) so it's an interesting experience so far. We are only watching because of the Guatemala-element and it does make us yearn for the "big trip" we will make one day to take Will back to visit his birthland. I can't wait to wander through those amazing Mayan ruins and have a glimpse of their fabulous history. So far there isn't much to comment on but if you're keen for some fun comments on this Survivor series check out my friend Kath's Survivor blog http://www.survivor11summations.blogspot.com/2005/09/episode-1-survivor.html

So to finish off for today... GO SWANNIES!

3 comments:

Foxxy One said...

I'm sure your speech will be perfect :) Go get'm tiger!

Kath Lockett said...

You'll KICK ARSE today at the speech - it's something that you feel extremely passionate about, so the battle is already won!

GO SWANNIES!

Kath Lockett said...

Deep Kick Girl - baaaby, congratulations on the Swans' win!

Secondly, how did the federal hearing go?????