Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A quick catch up on things non-Swannie related...

Friday I attended the public hearing for the Federal Inquiry into Intercountry Adoption. I had written a speech, nervous about my ability to speak in public off the top of my head. I read and re-read the speech as I drank my coffee prior to the hearing. I had knots in my tummy and I was really building myself up into an anxious mess.

I was the first to arrive in what was really just an oversized meeting room - I was expecting something much more "grand". Technicians were setting up audio/visual equipment. Slowly people drifted in, including some that I knew from the adoption community. Then the pollies arrived - Bronwyn Bishop (elegant is the word that springs immediately to mind), Jennie George, some bloke from the Central Coast and some other woman.

Though I doubt anything will ever change much (but I do live in hope) I really enjoyed this hearing. One of the interesting things was that DoCs, who were slotted in the for the first submission, didn't turn up. However, the manager of adoptions was there (dare I suggest spying?) for the first hour or so but upped and left as soon as it was Ricky Brisson's turn. Then one of the deputy slimebags (Brandon) from DoCS turned up. Again he stayed for a short time and disappeared after lunch. Makes you wonder if their presence - considering they renigged on their presentation - was good value for tax payer money!

All the submissions (except one) were very worthwhile. There were a number from adoptive parents like myself who wanted to talk about the problems with the adoption process in NSW. They were all so eloquent and brave in their own way - I felt like applauding after each one. There were three adult adoptees who spoke about their own experience and about the adoptee support group they run. There were a couple of people representing parent support groups (like Ricky) who spoke about the work of such groups and the history of intercountry adoption in Australia.

As there must be, there was the one nutter. I don't want to be uncharitable but surely these people can find a better spokesperson. I am talking about Origins, the group representing mothers who gave up their babies for adoption during the 50s, 60, 70s, even 80s. They claim ALL these adoptions were illegal and unethical - though I know from speaking with Jason's birthmother that not all women felt that way and made a reasonably informed decision at the time. This woman was the usual ranting lunatic and really didn't add anything to the debate (would it be unkind to say she added a little comic relief?!).

Bronwyn Bishop is not someone I would have thought I would like. She is one of those people who can cut you to shreds with her comments and doesn't take shit from anyone. I wouldn't want to be on her wrong side. However, she is charming and interested when discussing an idea she supports. It quickly became obvious that she is very much in favour of cutting the bullshit out of the current Intercountry Adoption process and also very much against the current trend within Australia away from adoption and towards fostering. Like myself she thinks this is a recipe for trouble as generations of children are ping ponged from family home to foster home to foster home to family home, etc, etc until they are permanently damaged on every level. Anyone in any way supportive of this ideology was cut down in flames. However, she was warm and encouraging to those of us who spoke about the inadequacies of ICA in Australia. It was hard not get encouraged by her enthusiasm and I guess I did leave with a small bubble of hope rising within me.

The funny thing was in the end I just used my speech for notes and spoke directly to the committee. They asked great questions which allowed me to make all the points I wanted to make without reading them off my speech. It went so much better than I had anticipated. Nevertheless I'm not quite ready for a career in public speaking...

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Well done, DKG and Swannies fan - you've hit two home runs this past week and I believe in threes, so hold tight for something even better to happen>
K xo

Foxxy One said...

~applauding~ I'm so proud of you! While it may not lead to a career in public speaking, I hope that it leads to a better adoption process there.