Friday, July 21, 2006

Quick update:

* School is back this week. Yippee! I'm getting a lot better at the school holiday thing but it's still somewhat of a relief once the routine is re-established. I'm such an anally retentive control freak (no, really) that routine is seriously my best friend. These holidays went well with a day trip to Disney on Ice (which both children and friends enjoyed hugely); a couple of days out with our visiting Adelaide friends K, D and C (oh the guilty joy of fish and chips at Watsons Bay on an unnaturally warm and sunny Sydney winter's [working] day); Jay took Will to Luna Park for a father and son bonding day and they had a ball (Will seems to be better at rides when I'm not around, possibly I silently transmit my fear of all things which move in a unpredictable and possibly dangerous manner).

* Both the kids are fantastic:

* Marianna is turning into a right little madam. She is very stubborn and bright and very much her own little person. At almost 14 months she is walking very confidently now, in fact trying to multitask like a typical woman by walking and eating or drinking or generally holding onto some toy or rubbish she has picked up from the floor. She loves music and bops along to any and every kind (from Hi-5 and The Wiggles on TV to Robbie Williams and Red Hot Chili Peppers on CD and radio, she even loves music in ads and has a few favourites for which she'll stop and turn to give it her full attention). She is also trying to sing along and her favourite right now is my rendition of Old McDonald which brings out a beautiful chorus of "ei ei".

* Will is turning into a real little man now. We still have our "moments" of stress (some last longer, much much longer, than others) when he insists on smothering Marianna with kindness, he literally follows her around so closely she trips over him, crying [hers] and screaming [mine] ensues. I guess the big brother/little sister adjustment period is taking longer than I first thought/hoped. On the positive side his language is maturing and he is saying a lot more about thoughts and feelings. He is into compliments right now ("Mum I love your skirt", "Dad I love your shoes"...).

* My dear sister J is back from her European Vacation. She had a blast and is missing the lovely European summer while we freeze our patooties off here in Sydney. Not only did she have a great time but she managed to squeeze in a bit of shopping resulting in a beautiful Dolce & Gabbana handbag for moi (yes, dear reader I am the proud owner of a genuine Italian designer handbag, as opposed to the Australian designer handbags I generally covet). She also bought some clothes for the children (fabulous!) including a tiger print D&G bodysuit for Marianna (too cute!). Jay got a pin for his collection from the World Cup (which made him a happy little camper - I know which pressie I'd prefer!).

* We have dipped our toe very briefly into the investment property pool but the water is too cold and we are withdrawing to the safety of the warm sand. Though it seemed like a good idea at the time our accountant has presented some hard financial facts which have made it all seem just a little too stressful and problematic. Maybe in a few years time?!

* Big Brother is almost finished for another year. Where does the time go?! I'm really over it (as I usually am by this stage of proceedings). I hate them all and don't care who wins (there's only $215,000 left at this point anyway). In just over a week they will all disappear back into the mediocrity from which they emerged after a few flickering moments as C grade celebrities and then I'll need some new reality TV program to replace the void...

* ... luckily Australian Idol is just round the corner and then there's always Australian Princess to look forward to. Us junkies need to keep getting our fix.

1 comment:

Julia said...

"I hate them all and don't care who wins" - but you'll watch till the bitter end!

You're a fantabulous yummy mummy (now, with D&G!) - and I love you!