Tuesday, July 04, 2006

It's a weird feeling to be listening to music created by someone who went to school with your baby sister.

One of the CDs on constant rotation in the car at the moment is Ben Lee's "Awake is the new sleep". I just love this gorgeous little melodic CD. It is just pure clean pop/folk with the optimistic/uplifting lilt I often crave. There are no abstract lyrics to decipher here, just lovely little love songs full of unrequited longing and hope and lust and fun.

I defy anyone not to love "We are all in this together". Not only is the sentiment just perfect but the song is beautiful on so many levels, especially as a soul-lifting sing-a-long as I drive the kids around.

woke up this morning
i suddenly realized
we're all in this together
i started smiling
cos you were smiling
and we're all in this together
i'm made of atoms
you're made of atoms
and were all in this together
and long division
just doesn't matter
cos were all in this together

So this funny little Woody Allen-like human, Ben Lee, went to school at Moriah College in Sydney's eastern suburbs with my sister, and now I listen to his funny little almost broken voice singing songs which simply make me feel joy and I wonder at the mysteries of life and the universe.

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

It's one of my faves too - and this, from someone who only buys a CD every five years or so these days!