Monday, May 19, 2008

The Lord* giveth and the Lord* taketh away.

The Lord* took away Underbelly and Dexter and the Lord gave Big Love. Thank you Lord*.

Have you watched the first series of Big Love? If not, why not! Right now I'm enjoying the beginning of Season Two and it was worth the wait.

IMHO this is the best tv you'll ever see. [Well, you know, after all the other best tv you'll ever see ... I have a fairly long list. And I do watch Big Brother, so undoubtedly my opinion must be taken with a few large pinches of salt.]

Nevertheless, this show is fantastic. First of all there is the uber cast with the three leading ladies blowing my socks off each time I watch an episode. I just can't get enough of Jeanne Tripplehorn or Chloe Sevigny (can it really be 13 years since Kids?) and the cute-as Ginnifer Goodwin. Then of course there's the supporting cast featuring Harry Dean Stanton as evil personified Roman Grant.

I am continuously startled and mesmerised by this show. It is so multi-layered that I find myself thinking about the issues long after the episode is over. While it can come across very vaguely soap opera-ish it is far from it. Yes, it is a family drama but it is like no family you'll ever come across. And amongst the moral dilemmas that arise amidst a family with one husband and three wives and seven children there is also suspense and intrigue which keeps my heart racing. Who knew Mormons were so exciting?

To think that SBS has been keeping this little secret and how close I came to missing it.

* The term Lord used for effect only. I haven't been born again or anything. Relax.

No comments: