Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Hysterectomy.

How I've longed to hear that word aimed in my general direction by a medical practitioner. A long held dream has finally come true and yet, as with everything in life, it's just not that simple.

What the hell are you talking about! I hear you say. Well, let's face it I'm not using the equipment, it's never been of any use to me. All it's done is cause my varying degrees of pain and discomfort on a monthly basis since about the age of 11 (yep, I was an early starter). For many years now, ever since we decided to adopt really, I've had no use for the damn thing and would gladly have lined up for a hysterctomy years ago if it had been elective surgery.

So there I am in Dr Hanna's office yesterday to discuss the monster cyst on my ovary (well, OK not monster... but given a few more years I could be one of those freaky women on the medical tv shows who have 80 kg cysts removed). Blow me down if he doesn't throw the H word at me when I least expect it. Apparently the fibroids in my uterus are so bad it would be better just to get rid of the whole job lot. I am levitating off my seat with joy and then he hits me with the catch...

One week in hospital; four to six weeks off work - no driving, no picking up heavy things, nothing! Shit! There I was getting all excited and then the rug is pulled out from under me. This is going to take some logistical organisation. I can't just put my life on hold for up to seven weeks even for something as wonderful as this.

So right now my dreams are temporarily on hold (but still firmly within my grasp - oh, thank you fibroids!). I am booked in to have the cyst removed on the 12th of May - very simple laparoscopic operation, only overnight in hospital. After that I will put my considerable organisational skills into top gear and work out how to achieve the big H with minimum life disruption.

Every cloud has a silver lining!

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Hi there DKG - you poor thing - I've only just read about your hospital stay and will keep my fingers crossed about the possibility of the Big H. The photos of Will and Marianna look gorgeous!
Millymoo xo

Barbara said...

I totally understand! I did it ANYWAY. Recovered at home alone, no less, with only a week of off-time from work (luckily I could work from home). Good luck to you. *smiles*

Barbara