Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's almost the end of April and I've realised I haven't done an installment of Kids' Kapers for this month... so here 'tis!

Will

My little man is almost SEVEN and he seems to have grown up a lot in recent weeks. Can't put my finger on how exactly but his language is expanding, he is saying more thoughtful (not as in considerate, just as in requires more thought) things and overall he is being less annoying.

We had an episode at school at the end of term relating to the Easter Hat parade which brought home to me how sensitive I am to Will standing out, being different. I'm quite sure now that I was the only one who noticed but I did over-react significantly, in terms of both being angry with Will and going as far as writing a letter to his teacher. After talking with my friend M it came home to me so strongly that the issue was mine and it was wrong of me to project it onto others, especially Will, who didn't realise he was doing anything wrong.

Will's reading is going really well, his maths ... well, let's just say he'll never be the hero in a film entitled Good Will Curtis (but then neither will I, so we'll just languish in non-mathematical hell together). He continues to enjoy Auskick and in my dreams I see him taking over from Jared Crouch in about 12 years' time as the Swans' most useful and hardy utility. He has also discovered his fashion sense. Whereas up to now he has always happily put on whatever I lay out for him to wear, during the week he came out wearing a different pair of shorts to the ones I had chosen for him. I asked what had happened to the other shorts. "I don't like them, mum. THESE shorts are cool!" Huh? Then his friend L came over to play on Friday and Will looks him up and down and says "I like your shoes, L. Do you like mine?" It's like he's channeling Carson Kressley! Fascinating.
















Marianna

The little princess will be 11 months old tomorrow and she is roaring along. She continues to be gorgeous, cheeky and clever. She crawls like a manic wind-up toy on speed and easily cruises round the furniture, moving around the place like she owns it (well, I guess she will one day unless we spend the childrens' inheritance on a Winnebago and a lifetime membership to the Super4 caravan parks around Australia like the majority of retired Australians).

She loves to copy us and has learnt to give kisses... disgusting, sloppy, too-cute, open mouthed baby kisses... on command. Will, in his capacity of big brother, has also taught her to blow spit bubbles which is gross at the best of times and certainly won't do in her future role as the next Australian export bride to the European royalty. Hopefully it's just a passing phase.

I may have got my foot in the door at a local day care centre near work, at least for one day a week. I dread putting her in care at the moment but I know after the initial shock she will thrive there. She is very social and loves to be stimulated and loves other children, so I'm sure it will be good for her to be there. That's my rational, working mum talking, the other one is weeping in the corner (shut up, sooky cow, get over it!).
















May is birthday party month so it will be an interesting update next month.

1 comment:

Laurie Ruettimann said...

They are gorgeous!