Friday, April 21, 2006

It's only Friday morning but so far we've survived the first week of the school holidays relatively intact. There has been no blood, no tears (at least on my part) and very little swearing. This morning I did utter the F word in the kitchen during breakfast (but it was not child related) and Will asked me "What did you say?". As my brain stumbled over a clever cover up one materialised. Will said "Did you say LUCK?". "Yes, I said LUCK," I truimphantly announced. "Why?" Will asked. Thanking my lucky stars for this gift horse, I said: "Because I need lots of luck to get through breakfast around here." Satisfied, Will resumed eating his Weat Bix.

A few things:

* I forgot to mention the Swans' first win of the season last Saturday night. It really wasn't a memorable game and despite some sizeable leads, the Swans still managed to almost loose a number of times. They really aren't good for my blood pressure whichever way you look at it.

* Over the weekend I read a great book: "The Confession of an Un-reprentant Lesbian Ex-Mormon" by Sue-Ann Post. I was expecting something uproariously funny (Sue-Ann being a stand up comic of some repute in Australia) but it was really a much more "scholarly" work of sorts. In a nutshell Sue-Ann was brought up a Mormon which became a problem as she grew up and realised she was a lesbian. On top of that she was sexually abused by her step-dad for many years which added to her problems. While she has previously written an autobiography, this book tells of her invitation to attend a conference of Mormon gays and lesbians in the heartland - Salt Lake City, Utah - and her preparation and the trip itself. However, it starts with a few fantastic chapters dissecting exactly what's wrong with organised religion in general and the Mormon religion in particular. I really love to read a well thought out anti-religious arguement. I mean I hate organised religion, truly believe it's responsible for all the misery in our world - past, present and future - but I'm lazy. My arguement is basically: "It's illogical to believe in God, etc... where's the proof? Religion is just a crutch for the weak. The hypocracy!!! Etc, etc, etc." I haven't even bothered to read "Atheism: The Case Against God" which is an impressive looking book I found at a Newtown bookshop many years ago. But Sue-Ann has done a lot of this reading, including the Bible (sheesh!) and her arguements are much more logical and meaningful. As I kept reading I would shout out: "Aaahhaa!" and "There you go!" and "EXACTLY!!!!"

* So the prosthetic pregnant belly has finally "given birth"?! What wouldn't I do to get a REAL DNA test on that particular family. Mark my words, Tom Cruise is heading into serious Michael Jackson insanity territory. Who knows where this madness will end?

* Big Jay and I are "dieting". How I hate that word but at this point I have to call a spade a spade. We have both ballooned up gradually over recent years and after the Easter Weekend of eating, eating, eating we both felt it was time to regain a little control. I went and bought the CSIRO diet book which appeals to us as it is more meat orientated (and we're both devout carnivores). The main thing for us is portion sizes - when you start measuring and weighing you realise how much more than you need you're actually eating every single day. It's a wonder we're not like those horribly obese people on the Jerry Springer show! It's been a tough couple of days (and I'm sure there are a few more to come) as our bodies yell "Hey, that's not enough. Why are you stopping now? I want MORE, MORE, MORE!" It's hard not to have those continuous little snacks that are just so easy - a biscuit here, some cheese and crackers there, a few cups of sweet tea throughout the day, a few chockies here, there and everywhere. However, after only a couple of days I'm already feeling better, my clothes aren't straining at the seams and I feel a bit more clear headed. Stay tuned for Pennant Hills' Biggest Loser!

*This weekend is a fairly quiet one. A bit of home time, a bit of family visiting time. Sunday we've got the Swans vs Melbourne Demons at the SCG. We're initiating some AFL "virgins" on the day which should be fun. Let's keep all our apendages crossed that the Swans manage a decent win this week - I really can't take the stress anymore.

No comments: