Thursday, March 01, 2007

Lately I can't seem to turn on the radio without hearing Hinder's "Lips of an Angel". This song shits me so much. Firstly it's a power ballad of the worst kind. Not my favourite music genre (unless we're talking nostalgic 80s value). Secondly, what's with the story here? Is this dude talking to (and lusting after) his ex-girlfriend while his current girlfriend is in the next room? On what level is this meant to be appealing to anyone? Creepy and fully in bad taste.

Speaking of bad taste, while I was driving yesterday I was listening to a "modern etiquette" segment on my chat radio station of choice. A woman rang up to say that at a recent family wedding the best man chose to screen a video of the buck's night, complete with two strippers and flying g-strings, during his speech AT THE WEDDING!!! What the..??!! Is the world mad? (Well, yes.. but that's another story.) Are people totally bonkers and devoid of any basic human decency? People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Speaking of amazing me, last night I watched a documentary on women who fall in love with death row inmates. These were three British women who "fell in love" with three men on death row in the US. One of the women said that "you don't choose who you fall in love with". Hmmm, you do have some small amount of say in it though. I mean it's not totally random, like catching a cold or having Mormons knocking on your door on a Sunday morning. These women made conscious decisions to write to these creepazoids, believe their pleas of innocence (it's truly awesome how many "innocent" people are on death row) and follow up with phone calls and personal visits. One of them is even in jail for killing his girlfriend. Gee, what a catch! I know a good man is hard to find but COME ON!!! Surely there are single men hanging around Gambling Anonymous or Labor Party meetings, if one was into scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I continue to be puzzled, bemused and amused by the humans who inhabit the world around me. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Agree with you wholeheartedly, DKG!!

Hmmm, should I write to a death row inmate, or ask the guy next door who tortures kittens and wets his bed every night?

Ms. Mamma said...

DKG- I loved your comment on The Cynical Girl concerning 'Ethan'. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link to your fabulousness!

This post? Right on, sister.

Ms. Mamma said...

PPS...forgot to say that "hinder" pronounced another way is slang for your butt, ass, rear in these parts and it makes me wonder why they'd choose a sucky name like that. So I always think of them as a bunch of 'highnders'.