Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I spend more time than is probably reasonble for a healthy-ish almost 40-year-old thinking about the music I want played at my funeral. I think music at a funeral is very important, especially if the funeralee (?) loved music. For example, recently at Big Jay's great uncle's funeral they played a few Al Jolson songs as Uncle Den was known for his love Jolson's music. It was really special because everyone there knew how much that music meant to Den.

So I thought I better put my thoughts down in writing (you never know when fate is going to send that runaway bus into your path).

1) The Guests - if Antony's version is ever recorded then I want that played first, if not Leonard Cohen's version will do nicely.

2) Dream a little dream - The Mamas and The Papas (no other version - EVER).

3) Bird on a wire - Perla Batalla's version from the I'm Your Man CD. ("Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free.")

4) Soul to squeeze - Red Hot Chili Peppers off the Coneheads soundtrack. Well, obviously a RHCP song must be played at my funeral. I couldn't rest in peace otherwise. This song is in some ways the essence of RHCP. It's perfection.

5) Satisfied Mind - Jeff Buckley from Sketches (For My Sweetheart The Drunk).

That should probably do. If I think of something a little bit more upbeat to add for the final song I'll update later.

1 comment:

Jules said...

OK, noted.

I spend time thinking what food I want served at my funeral...