Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Went to see P.S. I Love You with my friend C on Sunday night. I was so tired (from staying up until almost 1:00 am on Saturday finishing T is for Trespass, goodbye for now Kinsey, I'll miss you) I thought I would fall asleep in the middle of the film... but I didn't.

I didn't fall asleep because it was a really good film. Overall I loved it, just the kind of thing I felt like watching. I'm sure everyone knows the storyline: happy young couple, husband dies, sends letters to his wife from beyond the grave as she struggles to re-start her life. No, it's not a supernatural film (though the father from Supernatural plays a sort-of love interest and I just couldn't take him seriously, kept expecting his eyes to turn red from yet another demon possession, you know how it is).

I had a few teeny weeny problems like not being a particular fan of Hilary Swank as a romantic heroine (those TEETH, and that friggin' giant plastic headband... what the?). Don't get me wrong, I loved her in Boys Don't Cry but here she just doesn't ring my bell. Who does ring my bell (and could do so anytime he likes) is Harry Connick Jr. Whoa baby I love that man. It jumped out at me that he has a likeness to Hugh Grant with that foppy hair so maybe that's what attracts me though I would have to defend myself by saying NO, there must be something else. And Harry was super cute, in a getting older sort of way, but that's good, I can't keep being superficially attracted to men who are terrifyingly starting to be young enough to be my sons.

The script was sad and funny without being too much of either. I wish I could write a script like that. Best of all there was a fantastic soundtrack featuring The Pogues and that's a band you don't hear much of these days. Another CD to add to the mess in the car. Sheesh I wish someone would invent a good and easy to use car CD holder, I need help!

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Hmm, if you like it, it must be a pretty good chick-flick ! I also want to see 'Atonement' which has been getting loads of four and five star reviews in these here parts