Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rocktober Day Twelve: You Just Like Me 'Cos I'm Good In Bed

When my family left the former USSR and brought me to Australia, via Israel and Italy, in 1976 they thought they were bringing me to a better life. Little did they know they were bringing me to the land of Skyhooks.

As an eight year old starting a new life in Sydney, Australia I was a sponge for all things new and all things Australian. The music shows Countdown and Sounds were my cultural bibles. Popular music was my drug and I couldn't get enough. Obviously I was always drawn to the "peculiar" because Skyhooks were certainly that. They were plain, garden variety WEIRD and I loved them. Their strange clothes, make up and crazy songs were magical to my impressionable, young eyes and ears.

Imagine my parent's horror when their little girl started listening to songs like this one. Most of their songs had funny/cool titles: All My Friends Are Getting Married, Living in the Seventies, Horror Movie, Ego (Is Not A Dirty Word).

Skyhooks were fun and wild and out there and they were definitely a band of the 70s. Graeme "Shirley" Strachan was their singer and he was hilarious, a great guy by all accounts. He died in a helicopter accident in 2001. RIP Shirl.

I requested this song at my big 40th bash a couple of years ago and dancing to it, slightly tipsy after a couple of cheap champagnes, brought back a lot of blurry memories. God only knows what the 8 year old me would have made of these lyrics.

You Just Like Me 'Cos I'm Good In Bed (YouTube clip from their first reunion concert)

You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed (X 4)

You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed
Yeah that's what your girlfriend said
You just like me 'cos I give you some head
You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed

Well I'll meet you in the pub at two minutes to ten
You're all ready to go
Six bottles of beer and a sneer on your face
I'd run but I'm much too slow

You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed (X 4)

At half past one I'm flat on the floor
Caught like a rat in a trap
Fifteen times a week and you still want more
God you talk such crap

You just like 'cos I'm good in bed (X 4)

You imagine yourself as Mick Jagger's girlfriend
He wouldn't even spit in your eye
I bet you he don't get raped every weekend
I feel so weak I could die

You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed (X 4)

You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed
Yeah that's what your girlfriend said
You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed
You just like me 'cos I'm good in bed

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

One of my ex-bosses at EPA was his neighbour at the uni residential college they stayed at and said that Red's room was always buzzing with bad guitar and heaps of girls!