Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rocktober Day Twenty Seven: Anchorage

I can't believe I almost overlooked one of my all time, hands down favourite songs, ever.

One of the problems with human psychology (at least my human psychology) is that we are always looking back or looking forward, it's difficult to focus on the present, I guess because being in the present we are always kind of dealing with it right now.

Looking back on life tends to be done through rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Everything was better way back when. I have a few girlsfriends who date back to my wilder days and there's nothing better than letting our minds float back to those good ol' days and remember who we were before we became what we are.

This song is about that for me. Looking back on a life of freedom and innocence, to a special time between friends. About moving on from friends but always having them in your heart. It makes my skin tingle from the very first note and that last line "Leroy says keep on rocking girl..." just makes me want to cry and cry and not ever stop.

This is a comment I saw when I found this song on YouTube. It really sums up my feelings too.

"This song is amazing. Every time I listen to it, it takes me to somewhere I don't even know, but it's somewhere I want to be."

Thank you, Michelle Shocked, for something very special.

Anchorage (original sweet clip from YouTube)

I took time out to write to my old friend
I walked across that burning bridge
I mailed my letter off to Dallas but her reply came from
Anchorage, Alaska

She said, Hey girl it's about time you wrote
It's been over two years, my old friend
Take me back to the days of the foreign telegrams
And the all night rock and rolling
Hey Chel we was wild then

Hey Chel you know it's kinda funny
Texas always seems so big
But you know you're in the largest state in the Union
When you're anchored down in Anchorage

Hey girl I think the last time I saw you
Was on me and Leroy's wedding day
What was the name of that love song you played?
I forgot how it goes
I don't recall how it goes

Anchorage
Anchored down in Anchorage

Leroy got a better job so we moved
Kevin lost a tooth, he's started school
I've got a brand new eight month old baby girl
I sound like a housewife
Hey Chel, I think I'm a housewife

Hey girl what's it like to be in New York?
New York City, imagine that
What's it like to be a skateboard punk rocker?
Leroy says send a picture
Leroy says hello
Leroy says keep on rocking, girl
Keep on rocking

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Another song to add to a very long list..... :)