Monday, October 25, 2010

Rocktober Day Twenty Five: Anarchy In The UK

Maybe it's because it's Monday morning and I'm tired and grumpy (should stop staying up on Sunday nights when I'm already over tired catching up on True Blood episodes, which get me over excited and stop me sleeping almost the whole night). But probably it's just because this song popped into my brain yesterday when I was thinking about how to fill up this final week of Rocktober. The Sex Pistols, but of course!

Either way this song is fantastic for anger management. This is the most snarling, sneering, angry song I can think of and it played a big part of my musical soundtrack around the age of 14, circa 1982... when I spent a lot of time both sneering and being angry. That's when I thought anarchy would be a great thing... not so much the end of social constraints and society as we know it but just the mechanism by which I wouldn't have to do what my mum and dad told me (i.e. stay up late and go out whenever I wanted). I probably should have taken a moment to look up the word in the dictionary.

The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle is a fantabulous album and just thinking about it makes me want to find it on iTunes (so not 1979 punk) and download it immediately. It's just a great rollicking good time collection of music. From the Python-esque Who Killed Bambi? and You Need Hands to the sing-a-long, rock and roll fun of C'mon Everybody and Something Else this album is non stop fun.

Anarchy In The UK (live version from YouTube)

Right! NOW! ha ha ha ha ha

I am an anti-christ
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want but
I know how to get it
I wanna destroy the passer by cos I

I wanna BE anarchy!
No dogs body!

Anarchy for the UK it's coming sometime and maybe
I give a wrong time stop a traffic line
your future dream is a shopping scheme

cos I, I wanna BE anarchy!
In the city

How many ways to get what you want
I use the best I use the rest
I use the enemy
I use anarchy cos I

I wanna BE anarchy!
THE ONLY WAY TO BE!

Is this the M.P.L.A
Or is this the U.D.A
Or is this the I.R.A
I thought it was the UK or just
another country
another council tenancy

I wanna be anarchy
and I wanna be anarchy
Know what I mean
And I wanna be anarchist!
Get PISSED DESTROY !

3 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Hey at least you found it at fourteen - I only remember first drinking and dancing to it at uni when I was seventeen!

Listening to this on a Monday morning, though would only make me crabbier.... than normal......

Fiona said...

Ah, yes. Didn't we have fun way back then?

Carolyn said...

Totally agree. Its the fun of it all. If it offends, you don't get it. A magic teenage moment. On my Roctober KB!