Friday, October 22, 2010

Rocktober Day Twenty Two: We Are All In This Together

It's Friday, it's been a long week, I'm tired. So I needed something easy and cheerful. This song never fails to perk me up.

I've written about Ben Lee before. You all know the story... how he went to school with my sister (they danced together at a school dance), how he's married to Ione Skye (who was making Say Anything with John Cusack while living with Anthony Keidis [when Ben Lee would have been about 10 years old]).... which makes my six degrees of seperation... well, blah blah. I got into Ben's music almost against my better judgement but I once I started listening I was hooked.

So on the one hand this song is a little cheesy but it's optimistic and has a wonderful life and world sentiment that I just love. Sometimes a little cheesy is not a bad thing.

There are other songs of his that I like more (Boy With A Barbie being a recent favourite) but this song says everything about Ben's music. A perfect song to end the week.

We Are All In This Together (I'm pretty sure this is not the "official" clip and they seem to have chopped off the last bit but I can't seem to find anything better on YouTube or even on Ben's website - sorry!)

I woke up this morning
I suddenly realised
We're all in this together
I started smiling
'Cause you were smiling
And we're all in this together
I'm made of atoms
You're made of atoms
And we're all in this together.
And long division just doesn't matter
'Cause we're all in this together...yeah

I saw you walking
In the city
We're all in this together
The city's changing
cause we are changing
and we're all in this together
every 12 seconds
someone remembers
that we're all in this together
In the kitchen of your rent control apartment
we're all in this together

come on baby i don't mean to rush you
I only wanted to reach out and touch you
I've got to start to open my heart

I know you think about jumping ship before it sinks
but we are all in this together
ask a scientist
it's quantum physics
we are all in this together
and on the subway we feel like strangers
but we're all in this together
yeah i love you and you love her and she loves him
But we're all in this together

You know baby there's never been protection
and all the history of human connection
come on darling its alright to show me
you dont ever need to be lonely
once you start to open your heart

I saw you crying
I started crying
cause we're all in this together
and then religion is a big decision
but we're all in this together

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Love Ben Lee and even got a 'Love me like the world is ending - Ben Lee' t-shirt that Sapph ONLY lets me wear at home on the treadmill!